Led by Orlando Peace, who has over 25 years of youth development and provides representational leadership to our youth of color, FabGolf has emerged as one of our most popular programs. Launched in April 2021, FabGolf’s initial goal was to get 15-25 middle and high school students from the urban core of Newport, Rhode Island connected to the game and industry of Golf. Through a combination of on-course and off-course activities that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices, the program is now offered year-round to provide expanded opportunities for local youth, particularly those identified as low to moderate income.
In addition, Fab Golf has exposed students to 14 golf related careers, conducted over 200 hours of course time instruction/playing time, and connected 10 adults with developmental disabilities to golf.
Unlike traditional youth golf programs that focus only on the sport, FabGolf has an equal emphasis on the careers in the golf industry. Our youth learn about 14 different career pathways associated with the Golf industry: Horticulture (greens keeping, grounds maintenance, irrigation), Caddying, Golf Instruction /Professional, Culinary Arts, Event Management, Retail (pro shop, apparel, branding), and General Business Management (human resources, legal, marketing). In addition, we use golf as a pathway to expose students to Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) related activities via learning about the mechanics and art of making golf clubs.
Facilities and partnerships:
- Titleist headquarters in Fairhaven, MA provides tours of their facilities and insights into career opportunities
- PGA partnership to form the Jr PGA program.
- Salve Regina University Golf Club: By partnering with the Golf Club at Salve Regina University, we will expose the FabGolf students to an array of mentors and post-secondary opportunities.
- Looking Upwards: This partnership with a local organization serving adults with developmental disabilities teaches golf to their participants.
- Meeting Professional and Collegiate golfers to learn about their journey and experiences on and off the golf course.